Thursday 2 April 2015

Why I Love Rusty Clanton's Music

A few years ago I stumbled across a video on YouTube by a guy called Rusty Clanton and thought 'wow, he's amazing and this song is beautiful' and didn't think much more of it. A few weeks later I found myself back on the same video and decided to subscribe. Today I listened to his new song 'Where Do I Belong' and realised just how much my appreciation for him has grown since then.

As a song writer, my ultimate aim is to be a musical story teller. I want my songs to share emotions and stories and I want to make people feel something through the words and melodies I write. Rusty Clanton does that so beautifully. One of the things I love the most about his songs is the way you can listen to it once and think how beautiful his voice is or how lovely the music itself is, and then the more you listen to it, and I mean really listen to the lyrics and try and think about what they mean, the more you pick up from it. Rusty tells stories in the most subtle, beautiful way and it's such a rare thing to find. 

There is something about his songs that feels so relatable. His songs, to borrow a metaphor from ThisBeDottie, are like blank screens to project your own situations on to. He draws the outline, you are the detail.

I know this post was a bit different, but I loved his new video more than a YouTube comment box could convey and needed to share why.

Rusty, if you're reading this, thank you. Thank you for being so talented, so committed to writing beautiful songs and for being such a good inspiration to fellow songwriters.

Lucy x


1 comment:

  1. I am reading this! Thank you so much for the incredibly kind words, Lucy!! I'm so so flattered!
    Rusty

    ReplyDelete