Friday 7 September 2012

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Title: The Sky Is Everywhere
Author: Jandy Nelson
308 Pages

Rating: 3/5

This book really confused me. For the first about 150 pages I hated it and had to force myself to keep reading because all of the reviews I had seen said how amazing it was and it took me about 2 months to read that much, alongside other books because it just couldn't keep my attention. After that point though I loved it and couldn't put it down and read the rest in 2 days. I'm not quite sure why that is but there must be something about the second half of it that's a lot better than the first half. If you have this book and start reading it and find you don't enjoy it like me, persevere with it because it's worth it in the end.

"What's wrong with me? What kind of girl wants to kiss every boy at a funeral, wants to maul a guy in a tree after making out with her (dead) sister's boyfriend the previous night? Speaking of which, what kind of girl makes out with her sister's boyfriend at all?" - This pretty much sums up the book. Lennie Walker is a teenage girl who's sister recently died. She's meant to be mourning the loss of her sister but manages to find herself in some weird situations instead, such as making out with her sister's boyfriend and falling in love with the new guy in town, all at the same time.

*SPOILERS* There were certain areas of this book that I found to be a little bit too far fetched and unrealistic, such as the fact that Joe can play pretty much every instrument on the planet and that he can speak English and French fluently and he seems to be all around perfect. Also, I appreciate the fact that Lennie's favourite book is Wuthering Heights but the fact that she had read it 23 times is a little over the top and it seemed as though you almost needed to have read that and loved it to fully enjoy this book. Speaking as someone who hasn't ever read it and therefore doesn't share the love for it with Lennie, certain parts where she just kept comparing her love for Joe to that of Cathy and Heathcliff left me wondering just what sort of love that is, as I have only ever heard extremely short summaries of Wuthering Heights and therefore don't really know the plot of it. I could also see the fact her and Toby would end up feeling like brother and sister from a mile off, it wasn't a surprise at all and I could tell it was going to happen from almost the first mention of Toby. *END OF SPOILERS*

I wasn't too impressed with this book purely because it took me so long to get into it. Once I was into it I really enjoyed it but the fact I was reading it for so long before I started to like it sort of ruined it for me. I think this is the kind of book that completely depends on the person for them to like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment