Tuesday 7 August 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Rating: 5/5

As soon as I read the first page in this book I was hooked. It's one of the few books I would quite easily say are my favourites, along side the likes of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green and the Harry Potter Series (lets be honest, who doesn't love Harry Potter?). I found the plot completely believable, despite the fact it shouldn't be because it's such a different world to the one we know.

Divergent is the tale of a world in which it's inhabitants are separated into 5 categories called Factions; Dauntless, Abnegation, Erudite, Candor and Amity. Each Faction stands for something. Dauntless-Bravery, Abnegation-Selflessness, Erudite-Intelligence, Candor-Honesty and Amity-Kindness. Divergent follows the story of Tris and the decision she has to make that will place her in the faction she will belong to for the rest of her life. Does she stay with her family in Abnegation or does she choose to move to one of the other factions where she feels she belongs more, despite the fact she will possibly never see her family again?

*SPOILERS* I definitely thought one of the things I loved about this book is that not only is it packed full of action, but the relationship between Tris and Four is absolutely adorable. From the point where she seems to notice him more I found myself wanting them to end up together. I also like the fact that the book is based in Dauntless, the Faction most of the other facts believe to be the most deadly, if that's the right word to use. I liked that although Dauntless stands for bravery, like Gryffindor in Harry Potter, the side of bravery shown through the novel is a lot more dark than in Harry Potter. I also liked the fact that her brother moved Factions, I felt that it really added a surprise to the book, even though it wasn't part of the main story-line. *END OF SPOILERS*

I definitely would recommend this book to pretty much everyone. I gave it to my Mum when I was done with it and she enjoyed it to so it doesn't seem to be something that's age specific. If you liked The Hunger Games, you'll LOVE this. I will definitely be reading Insurgent as soon as I can get my hands on it. I thought it was written in a way that flowed really well and I found I read it in about a day because I just couldn't put it down. Divergent seemed to me like The Hunger Games with a touch of Harry Potter because of their loyalties to their houses/factions. A fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment